Date:      Sat, 20 Sep 1997 11:41:44 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
To:        "Studded" <Studded@dal.net>
Cc:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>, "freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: >8 char usernames going into 2.2.5?

> 	I'm a firm believer in backwards compatibility, and I
> understand the importance of supporting things that have "always
> worked."  However the rc* changes that are being made in the 2.2 branch
> seem like a pretty big change to me, much bigger than what we're
> talking about with the length of usernames.

Bullocks.

1) You don't have to use the rc changes, and the system will work
   *FINE*, w/out any modification (and with them).
2) Programs that once worked will still continue to work (see above),
   but with the username changes, programs that worked fine under a
   previous release will now corrupt your system files /var/run/*tmp.

Programs that use the size of usernames (read, almost all useful
programs) will need to be re-compiled/re-installed.  It's a 'big deal',
although it's a simple change.

If it's such a big deal to you, do it yourself, but don't screw me over
just because you're too lazy to take the time to do it.

'Principle of least suprise.'

Nate