Date:      Wed, 13 Mar 2002 19:56:17 -0800
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@owt.com>
To:        Joe & Fhe Barbish <barbish@a1poweruser.com>
Cc:        FBSDQ <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: GENERIC kernel source location

Joe & Fhe Barbish wrote:

> Can the GENERIC kernel source be moved to a
> directory location closer in, like to /etc and
> have the old style make depend && make && make install
> process still work?
>
> What ever possessed someone to put it so far out of the way?

The opposite to that is what is possessing you to try and change it.
You usually uzi yourself in both your feet. In most systems I see
links such as

/sys -> /usr/src/sys

I also happen to feel that is why you have aliases. For example, I have

alias cruby     cd /sys/i386/conf

and that takes me to GENERIC and RUBY. If you change it, then you may
miss serious changes to GENERIC as the versions progress along.

Kent

--
Kent Stewart
Richland, WA