Date:      Fri, 12 Sep 1997 15:47:46 -0700 (MST)
From:      Edward Ajhar <ajhar@noao.edu>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   mfs does not mount properly

When this change had occurred some time in August (I think), I thought
it was a new "feature" that I had to read about, but now I realize
that it is a bug after reading the man pages.  Memory file system when
mounted automatically from /etc/fstab does not yield the size
filesystem requested.  It appears that ~32MB is what you get
regardless of what you want, but I have not tried this for sizes
smaller than 32MB.  (Previously, the size was about the size of the
partition [I think].)  Is this a bug, or have I missed something?

FreeBSD 2.2-STABLE #0: Fri Sep 12 11:46:07 MST 1997
from /etc/fstab....
/dev/sd0s1b		none		swap	sw		0	0
/dev/sd1s1b		none		swap	sw		0	0
/dev/sd0a		/		ufs	rw		1	1
/dev/sd0s1f		/usr		ufs	rw		1	2
/dev/sd0s1b		/tmp		mfs	rw,-s=131072	0	0
yields this from df....
Filesystem  1K-blocks     Used    Avail Capacity  Mounted on
mfs:28          31404        4    28888     0%    /tmp

It DOES work to mount a filesystem manually with

   mount -t mfs -o -s=131072 /dev/sd1s1b /mnt

This yields

   Filesystem  1K-blocks     Used    Avail Capacity  Mounted on
   mfs:288         63567        1    58481     0%    /mnt

--Ed