Date:      Tue, 30 Oct 2001 18:47:35 -0500
From:      Kutulu <kutulu@kutulu.org>
To:        Mark Foster <mdf@enic.cc>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: suggestion about sshd_config default

At 03:12 PM 10/30/2001 -0800, Mark Foster wrote:
>I'm requesting that the default openssh configuration be changed to say
>Protocol 2
>instead of
>#Protocol 2,1
>

>Protocol 1 is the subject of a number of recent security advisories, and
>it's use should be discouraged. The behavior with the line commented as
>it is (by default) now seems to be to NOT use protocol 1 or 2 but 1.99.

ssh version "1.99" is the version number required by the ssh v2
specification when the server supports both versions.  ssh v1 clients will
see a major version of 1 and negotiate a connection, ssh v2 clients will
know to look further along in the version identifier for the ssh2 version
number.

While I agree that version 1 should probably not be used, turning it off by
default would change the way existing systems work, and thus, isn't
something that should be done in -STABLE.  It "violates POLA", which (as a
BSD newbie) I'm still trying to come up with the actual meaning of.  (I
just this morning went and looked up what all those 'bikeshed' references
meant :)

--K