Date:      Fri, 14 Aug 2015 22:49:08 +0100
From:      Emil Velikov <emil.l.velikov@gmail.com>
To:        Rob Clark <rclark@redhat.com>
Cc:        Igor Gnatenko <ignatenkobrain@fedoraproject.org>, riastradh@netbsd.org,  Stefan Dirsch <sndirsch@suse.de>, Andreas Radke <andyrtr@archlinux.org>,  Jan de Groot <jgc@archlinux.org>, Jonathan Gray <jsg@jsg.id.au>,  =?UTF-8?Q?Fran=C3=A7ois_Tigeot?= <ftigeot@wolfpond.org>,  Matthew Green <mrg@netbsd.org>,  =?UTF-8?B?SmVhbi1Tw6liYXN0aWVuIFDDqWRyb24=?= <jean-sebastien.pedron@dumbbell.fr>,  mesa@packages.debian.org, x11@freebsd.org,  mesa-owner <mesa-owner@fedoraproject.org>, Adam Jackson <ajax@redhat.com>
Subject:   Re: [RFC] Embed the mesa version in the library/binary name

On 14 August 2015 at 20:47, Rob Clark <rclark@redhat.com> wrote:
> On Aug 14 2015 or thereabouts, Igor Gnatenko wrote:
>> On Aug 14, 2015 6:21 PM, "Emil Velikov" <emil.l.velikov@gmail.com> wrote:
>> >
>> > Hello all,
>> Hi,
>> >
>> > My name is Emil and I'm the person breaking^w fixing mesa's build
>> > amongst others.
>> Yes, we know :D
>> >
>> > A while back I had this idea of renaming the libraries provided by
>> > mesa to include the actual version number. Prior to doing anything
>> > "crazy" I've decided to seek your feedback.
>> >

>> > * What
>> > The idea is to rename (ideally) all of the versioned libraries.
>> > Unversioned ones such as radeonsi_dri.so will remain as is.
>> >
>> > Note: the soname and symlinks will stay to avoid breaking compatibility.
>> >

>> > * How
>> > While I haven't fully decided on the exact approach I'm thinking of
>> > something like:
>> > libGL.so.1.0.0 -> libGL.so.11.0 or libGL.so.110.1 or libGL.so.11.01
>> I'd like to see 11.0 for 11.0, 11.1 for 11.1 and etc.
>
> Adam probably knows better, but I thought libGL.so/.1/
These files are symlinks to the actual library and will not be renamed.

>.1.2.0 as part of
> the linux/unix GL ABI?  So not really sure that it is something we can
> actually change.

I'm fairly confident it's not part of the ABI. I've been through the
documentation five+ times, solely looking for it and did not see any
hints, let alone explicit statement. Not to mention that nvidia has
been using this approach since dawn of time. Even their oldest legacy
driver 71.x (one supporting Geforce 256) uses it.

> That said, with the libOpenGL stuff we could probably do something
> better.

That does not prevent us from doing minor tweaks :)

Cheers,
Emil