Date:      Thu, 30 Mar 95 09:58 EST
From:      Mitchell Ackerman <0006619934@mcimail.com>
To:        FreeBSD questions <questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   X Installation

It would not be an exageration to say that I am having a very difficult time
getting X Windows Installed.

I have been following the readme for XFree86-3.1 and have had several
difficulties.  The 1st real problem is that modifying the login and profile
files as suggested does not result in the path variable being set up correctly.
A kluge has temporarily addressed this. Secondly running xdm manually gave me a
bunch of errors of the type "failed to connect to socket at port 177", etc.  I
eventually concluded that this is what one might expect if the XServer had not
been configured (as it had not).  Thirdly, and this is where I am stuck, is that
I cannot get my mouse device type of COM port set up.  I am using COM3 I think
ther is a reasom for this), but only have tty00 & tty01 defined.  I tried
creating (MAKEDEV) tty02, but have had no luck configuring this.

Any help would be much appreciated.  Thanks, Mitchell.