Date:      Fri, 08 Sep 2000 16:18:03 -0400
From:      John Turner <john@drexeltech.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   HELP: can't install ports packages

Hello -

I'm trying to install the UC-Davis snmp daemon, which is in
/usr/ports/net/ucd-snmp.

I updated the net ports earlier today with cvsup.

When I goto the /usr/ports/net/ucd-snmp directory and use the "make"
command, the filename is missing from the FTP instructions:

host2# make
 >> .tar.gz doesn't seem to exist on this system.
 >> Attempting to fetch from ftp://ucd-snmp.ucdavis.edu/.
fetch: .tar.gz: cannot get remote modification time
fetch: ftp://ucd-snmp.ucdavis.edu/.tar.gz: FTP error:
fetch: File name not allowed
 >> Attempting to fetch from ftp://sunsite.cnlab-switch.ch/mirror/ucd-snmp/.

it then cycles through all of the FTP sites basically loooking for .tar.gz
instead of package-name.tar.gz.  Also, when I enter "make clean" I get:

host2# make clean
===>  Cleaning for
===>  Cleaning for
===>  Cleaning for make-3.79.1
===>  Cleaning for
===>  Cleaning for
===>  Cleaning for

again, no filenames.

I'm not very familiar with the ports system.  Is this something easily
fixed by modifying the makefile?  If so, can someone nudge me in the right
direction?  I looked at /usr/ports/net/ucd-snmp/Makefile, but I didn't
notice anything glaringly amiss.  Or is this a problem in the package itself?

Thanks in advance for any help.

- John Turner
john@johnturner.com