Date:      Sat, 09 Oct 1999 15:07:53 -0700
From:      "Mark Bowles" <mark@trippcourt.com>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Can't build generic kernel from vanilla 3.1 cd

Hi -- I'm writing you because of a mention in the Complete FREEBSD book,
page 273.

I am trying my first kernel build; I have a laptop which needs the PCCARD
stuff, and made up a new configuration file, ran config, and then did the
make as suggested.  The make bombed out with an include file missing.

Just to eliminate my changes from the equation, I then went back and tried
to build the GENERIC kernel, with the same result:

harry#
harry# cd /sys/i386/conf
harry# /usr/sbin/config GENERIC
Don't forget to do a ``make depend''
Kernel build directory is ../../compile/GENERIC
harry# cd ../../compile/GENERIC
harry# make
[. . . lots of compiles and other stuff ]
cc -c -O -Wreturn-type -Wcomment -Wredundant-decls -Wimplicit
-Wnested-externs
-Wstrict-prototypes -Wmissing-prototypes  -Wpointer-arith -Winline
-Wuninitializ
ed -Wformat -Wunused  -fformat-extensions -ansi  -nostdinc -I- -I. -I../..
-I../
../../include  -DKERNEL -DVM_STACK -include opt_global.h -elf
../../isofs/cd966
0/cd9660_bmap.c
In file included from ../../isofs/cd9660/cd9660_bmap.c:43:
../../sys/vnode.h:457: vnode_if.h: No such file or directory
*** Error code 1

Stop.
harry#

The release is right off the Walnut Creek 3.1 cd rom;  I have tried this on
a Compaq presario and a Gateway Solo laptop; both have gobs of memory and
disk space and are running the GENERIC kernel, unmodified.   The laptop is
fresh out of the box; I loaded the o/s from the cdrom and haven't even
created user accounts on it yet.

Does this look familiar?

Thanks,

-- Mark Bowles