Date:      Tue, 28 Oct 1997 18:54:51 -0800 (PST)
From:      asami@cs.berkeley.edu (Satoshi Asami)
To:        jkh@time.cdrom.com
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: /compat -> /usr/local/compat

 * I know, but /usr was the only partition I could count on, and besides,
 * I don't see that putting it in /usr/local will necessarily help most
 * people out of the same situation since very very few think to put it
 * on its own partition anyway. :-)

Maybe not on its own partition all by itself, but many people put it
in the "all of the rest" partition and symlink it from /usr.

BTW, I just realized I don't know who tells Linux apps about
/compat/linux.  Looking around in the source tree, I found the string
"/compat/linux" hardcoded in two (!) places,
/sys/i386/linux/linux_sysvec.c and linux_util.c.

Is that were the apps get the stuff from?  If so, we can't move it, at
least not into /usr/local.  (I don't think we want any more places on
the system that has "/usr/local" hardcoded....)

Satoshi