Date:      Thu, 14 Jun 2001 15:45:41 -0400
From:      "Gerald T. Freymann" <freymann@scaryg.shacknet.nu>
To:        "Will Senn" <wsenn@postfuture.com>, "Freebsd-Questions" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: ftp install question

> Heck no, I figured I would just dual boot the box.  I want to evaluate
> FreeBSD not switch without knowing how it works.

 Ok. So basically you're going to be dealing with a fresh box, that really
has no connection to the internet, other than "I had it working with my
other operating system" which isn't going to be running during the
installation of FreeBSD.

 That's been my entire point all along.

> Here's the deal, I have a cable modem - right? I could just download
> the iso(s)

 Personally, if you can do that, and burn the ISO to a cd-rom? I'd go that
way. FreeBSD isn't going to be able to use your cableModem connection until
you've done some tweeking with the kernel and rc.conf files. That'll come
*after* you get the system booting up, not during the installation process
with floppy disks.

> As the discussion continued - the question became somewhat moot in that
> I know what the ip and dns servers are (haven't changed yet). So, in
> all actuallity I can enter them in manually and later change my nic
> to use dhcp(probably).

 Yes, that would make more sense, assuming you can just plug in the IP
number, subnet mask, machine name and domain name, and DNS servers with
your cable-modem setup? (I have DSL)

 Sounds to me like burning the ISO image to a cd-rom would be easier.

 -gf.