Date:      Sat, 11 Dec 1999 17:13:00 -0500
From:      bill@twwells.com (T. William Wells)
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: softupdates... the sequel

In article <Pine.BSF.4.21.9912110346420.56533-100000@dogma.freebsd-uk.eu.org>,
Jonathon McKitrick  <jcm@dogma.freebsd-uk.eu.org> wrote:
: (i guess that matters now  ;-) does it make any sense to install
: softupdates?  Or is it negligible?  Or am i sacrificing reliability?
:
: Just so i don't look foolish, here is m guess:
: Yes, i will gain some performance
: No, i will not lose reliability
:
: Correct me if i'm wrong.  ;-)

Softupdates may destroy your file system if you have any I/O
errors.

Seriously.

I do have evidence to back this up -- I just recently had a rash
of hard disk failures, in which small portions of the disk started
reporting media failures. Where softupdates was enabled parts of
the disk that were not involved with the hardware failure were
also corrupted.

In several cases, I ended up with partitions I could not clean
with fsck. All I could do was mount them read-only and copy them
elsewhere. *One* I couldn't even do that -- the root node was
gone. Fortunately, that was just a /var partition.

I'm not sure what the fix here is. Softupdates *should not* have
this effect. My guess is that what is happening is that
softupdates doesn't handle I/O errors well. The quick hack would
be for softupdates to disable itself as soon as a partition
reports an I/O error....