Date:      Tue, 14 Jul 1998 07:57:06 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Mike  <muck@ida.net>
To:        c5666305 <c5666305@comp.polyu.edu.hk>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: how to upgrade ?

On Tue, 14 Jul 1998, c5666305 wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am a newbie to play with 3.0-snap.  I had installed 980622 some days ago.
> I want to upgrade to 980711 (from current.freebsd.org).  Can anyone tell me
> the proper procedures to do it ?  Thanks.
>
> Clarence CHAN

You would probably want to use cvsup.  Go to /usr/ports/net/cvsup and type
"make install".  If you don't know how to generate a /etc/cvsupfile, type
"pkg_add ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/CVSup/cvsupit.tgz".  This will
make a /etc/cvsupfile for you and run CVS for you.  Then, later, you can
type "/usr/local/bin/cvsup -g -L 2 /etc/cvsupfile" to update your system.

After you do a cvsup, go to /usr/src and type "make world".  You must be
superuser to do both a make world and a cvsup.  Alternately, you can spit
the building and installing up with "make buildworld" and then "make
installworld".

After the new system is installed, go to /usr/src/sys/i386/conf.  Type
"config MYKERNEL" or "config GENERIC" if you haven't built a custom
kernel.  Then, goto ../../compile/MYKERNEL.  Type "make depend", then
"make", then "make install".  You might also have to update /etc/.  There
is a good tutorial in the handbook about upgrading FreeBSD from source
using Make World.  You should read it.  After installing your new kernel,
reboot the system.  To confirm that you upgraded, after the system is up,
type "uname -a"

Mike