Date:      Thu, 9 Jun 2011 21:16:23 -0400
From:      Jason Hellenthal <jhell@DataIX.net>
To:        "C. P. Ghost" <cpghost@cordula.ws>
Cc:        freebsd-stable <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>, Marius Strobl <marius@alchemy.franken.de>
Subject:   Re: HEADS UP: ZFS v28 merged to 8-STABLE

--0OAP2g/MAC+5xKAE

On Thu, Jun 09, 2011 at 12:59:39AM +0200, C. P. Ghost wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 9, 2011 at 12:55 AM, Marius Strobl
> <marius@alchemy.franken.de> wrote:
> > On Thu, Jun 09, 2011 at 12:46:19AM +0200, C. P. Ghost wrote:

> >> Thanks for the heads-up! I was just about to update a couple of sparc64
> >> machines here. Fortunately, the only ZFS file systems there are extern=
al
> >> file systems (no /, /usr, /var etc...), so it's gonna be painless, I s=
uppose.
> >> But what about other layouts? Does it mean that an installkernel, rebo=
ot,
> >> and installworld won't work?
> >
> > No, using the old zfs binaries with the new kernel module triggers the
> > problem. Using the new zfs binaries with the new kernel module works
> > (at least with CURRENT) so you'd need disregard everything that is
> > documented and do what is not guaranteed to work but usually also does,
> > i.e. do installkernel, installworld and then reboot.
>=20
> Ah, yes, that's what I expected. Thank you!
>=20

To add to this, what may or may not help you. If you
installkernel+installworld and shutdown your pool might not umount
cleanly or system might hang. If you create a copy of all the old zfs
binaries into a seperate directory and run ldconfig -m
/path/to/directory and make sure that the zfs and zpool binaries are in
the PATH before shutdown for the scripts that run then you should be
able to do this flawlessly and have a perfect working system after you
reboot. This may require editing the zfs rcNG scripts to adjust the path
for only shutdown. If all else fails remove the /boot/zfs/zpool.cache
file after a reboot into single user mode then unload and reload the zfs
and opensolaris modules and this should get you going in the right
direction.

Good luck.

--=20

"Unity can only be manifested by the Binary. Unity itself and the idea of U=
nity are already two." -- Buddha

 Regards, (jhell)
 Jason Hellenthal

--0OAP2g/MAC+5xKAE