Date:      Fri, 18 Aug 2000 21:27:46 -0500
From:      David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>
To:        "David Schwartz" <davids@webmaster.com>
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Sun's web site

"David Schwartz" writes:

> > Notice under GPL you do not give up the copyright on the software. You
> > still own it and control it. Presumably even the mods others (anonymous
> > contributors who don't go to lengths to claim their own copyright on the
> > revisions) put into it. What I'm saying is the copyright holder is still
> > free at a later date to jump back in with a non-GPL version including
> > developments during its GPL phase. YMMV, depends on how good your
> > lawyers and public relations people are.
>
> 	Umm, how would the original author wind up with the rights to distribute
> changes that others have made? Presumably, when one submits modifications to
> a piece of GPL'd software, one licenses them under the GPL.

While one has a certain level of automatic copyright protection on works
not specifically tagged with a copyright notice, one can loose any
claims by failing to assert one's rights with proper labeling. An
example was when Intel lost the rights to their original 8086.

Posting changes to a work which already has a copyright notice attached
and not amending that notice to assert one's own claims is excellent
grounds to claim one has surrendered all rights to the copyright holder
in the notice.

Copyright and license terms are not things the government enforces.
What the government can do is to provide the judicial system for the
copyright holder to enforce his rights.

Would suggest you read the GPL not as manifesto from Richard Stallman,
but for what it is, the terms of your right to use a copyrighted work.
Only the copyright holder can enforce the terms of GPL on his work. The
government can't do it. Richard Stallman can't do it.

Lines 6 and 7 of the GPL stipulate only verbatim unmodified copies of
the GPL document be distributed, preventing me from quoting it here.

Observe that paragraph 2a mandates that one identify the changes one has
made in the redistribution. Failure to comply with the terms of the
license would be further grounds to argue one was anonymously yielding
copyright rights.

After the page break the paragraph starting at line 124 expands upon
the claim of rights by stating its not to claim works entirely written
by you, only the derivative works. It does bind the derivative works.

Notice that paragraph 4 is talking about what a user or one creating a
derivative work is allowed to do. The "voice" which is speaking is the
copyright holder, the license granter, who is not bound by the terms of
his own license.

Paragraph 6 says if you modify my (figuratively speaking) work then you
may not place any more restrictions on it that I have done. Any good
lawyer should be able to twist this all the way back to the case where
the mentioned "recipient" also being the "originator" who is now
receiving code which is forbidden from having any more restrictions than
he himself imposes, additional copyright would be an additional
restriction, therefore it must be the originator's to do with as he
pleases.

Paragraph 10 continues to reinforce my claims by stating that if you
wish to redistribute outside of the terms of the GPL you contact the
copyright holder. Oops, not in exactly that language, they say "the
author." Not plural authors. Search on "author" and see all uses in
context refer to the copyright holder. The example copyright notice on
line 294 uses "<name of author>".

If nothing else I think I've demonstrated the GPL document is poorly
written. Apple and Sun are wise for not adopting GPL but for writing
their own documents which say the same thing, clearer. Haven't heard of
IBM doing likewise but IBM's lawyers are good enough to prove a cat is
a dog so they don't have to.

I'm not a lawyer. The only legal training I have is in the reading of
contracts I have been asked to sign, and learning from the lawyers I
have paid to explain such contracts to me. The GPL is not a contract I
would sign.

--
David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly@hiwaay.net