Date:      Mon, 6 Jan 1997 14:44:23 -0800
From:      "Jin Guojun[ITG]" <jin@george.lbl.gov>
To:        dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: help on set netmasks

} > According to "man networks", the netmasks should be placed in the file
} > /etc/networks and look like:
}
} > Would some one please tell me where should I set the subnet masks?
}
} I, FWIW, have NEVER touched /etc/networks.  Netmasks should be set on a
} per-interface basis, so you want /etc/sysconfig's ifconfig lines.
}
} ifconfig_ed0="xxx.yyy.zzz.qqq netmask 255.255.255.0 ..."

I do not want to explicitly to use netmask x.x.x.y. Because the host may
have many network interfaces, and some of them will be dynamically changed.
I really want to have a file to contain all subnet masks for default setting.

BSD was using /etc/netmasks to do so. Does any one know what is right now?

Thanks,

-Jin