Date:      Thu, 27 May 2004 15:51:24 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gumbysoft.com>
To:        David Magda <dmagda@ee.ryerson.ca>
Cc:        Robert Watson <rwatson@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: how to interpret crash?

On Wed, 26 May 2004, David Magda wrote:

> On May 26, 2004, at 17:34, Robert Watson wrote:
> [...]
> > This is a NULL pointer dereference in some piece of code.  The
> > instruction
> > pointer is 0xc0230fee, which if you have a kernel with debugging
> > symbols,
> > you can convert into a source file and line number (see the handbook
> > for
> [...]
>
> Currently debugging kernels are not installed by default. Would it be
> possible to add a flag in make.conf to allow a kernel.debug to be
> installed along side the regular kernel? This way people can set things
> up once and not having to worry about digging around for a kernel with
> symbols if a panic should occur.

I believe this is the default in 5.X, not only because its a testing
release. :-)

If you put this line in your kernel config it should generate the
kernel.debug:

makeoptions		DEBUG=-g

> I know there's there's an installkernel.debug target under /usr/src,
> but I'm unclear as to what it does. Does it install both the regular
> and debugging kernels, or just the debugging one?

You don't need the actual kernel.debug to boot with, just the image around
so when you run gdb -k it can pull the symbols out. Otherwise, the
installed kernel is stripped.  On -CURRENT, there's a
/sys/$arch/compile/$kernelname.debug that you suck in.

dwhite@gumbysoft.com          |  www.FreeBSD.org