Date:      Thu, 30 Nov 2000 17:09:50 -0600 (CST)
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        "New Star Service Company" <nestar@globalctg.net>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Few questions of Newbies

New Star Service Company <nestar@globalctg.net> types:
> Today I install FreeBSD3.3 with  windows 95. I'm single user.
> sometimes windows 95 give me much trouble so I try to use FreeBSD and like
> need answer urgently of my few questions.
> (1)
> I create only one partition for /root  ---- 1700MB and another for swap  --
> 128MB.
> I have RAM 128MB in my machine.
> Do my partition is OK ?

Well, I'd suggest splitting your big partition in two, and putting
/home on the other one, so that "your" stuff is separated out from the
system stuff. That's the only problem.

> (2)
> In root (/) I mount my CDROM by this command :
>     mount -t cd9660 -o ro /dev/acd0c /cdrom
> but I'm not able to mount CDROM from my user account. How I solve this
> problem ?
> please give suggestion same also of floppy.

See the FAQ entry at <URL:
http://www.freebsd.org/FAQ/admin.html#USER-FLOPPYMOUNT > for both of
them.

> Do I able to mount CDROM & FLOPPY in single command like /cdrom or /floppy ?

You need to add lines to fstab for /cdrom and /floppy. See the fstab
man page.

> (3)
> I have color monitor, I want to use colors  Directory for Red , File for
> blue,
>  Symbolic link for cyan,executable file for green . Which file I edit ?

Check the man page for the command you are using to look at the files.

> (4)
> I have printer Canon BJC-4300. How can print from it or by use default ?

See the handbook entry on printing <URL:
http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/printing.html >

> Waiting your reply.

You could have gotten everything but the question about partition
setup faster by searching the FreeBSD web site before asking the
question, which is *always* a recommended practice.

	<mike

Independent WWW/Unix/FreeBSD consultant,	email for more information.