Date:      Fri, 17 Jul 1998 11:27:59 -0400 (EDT)
From:      CyberPeasant <djv@bedford.net>
To:        c.raven@ukonline.co.uk
Cc:        john@sokol.org, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Problem installing Scilab-2.3.1

Christopher Raven wrote:
> Is it running when you try to install?
>
> I have had the same error before when installing, but only when the
> X window is not running - just a thought
>

> John Sokolowski wrote:
>
> > I am running FreeBSD 2.2.6 and tried to install Scilab-2.3.1 port via
> > the makefile.  As the install is progressing I get an error that says
> > configure: error: X Window not found. I have
> > X Windows installed on my system and it runs fine.  What am I doing
> > wrong on my installation?  Thanks for any help.
> >
> > John
> > john@sokol.org

Hmm -- it may be something as simple as looking at the DISPLAY
environment variable. If this is how scilab is judging whether a
machine is X or not-X, then it is in a state of configuration
braindamage, but I have seen worse configuration script errors.

An experimental approach would be to set DISPLAY, say DISPLAY=:0.0
and try the build again.

An analytic approach would be to poke around in scilab's configuration
files. (probably in "config.in") and see just where that error
message is coming from, and why. grep "X Window not found" *
might turn up something.

Dave
--
Sancho Panza: `Microsoft Windows NT Server is the most secure network
	operating system available.'