Date:      Sat, 01 Apr 2006 16:51:00 +0200
From:      =?UTF-8?B?VsOhY2xhdiBIYWlzbWFu?= <V.Haisman@sh.cvut.cz>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   kqueue oddity

--------------enigD19178C198EE9223A95AABFE

Hi,
I have a little problem with kqueue/kevent. I am getting somewhat
strange events from kevent(). The struct kevent's contents looks like thi=
s:

kevent {.ident =3D  1, .filter =3D 0xfffffffe, .flags =3D 0x0001, .fflags=
 =3D
0x00000000, .data =3D 0x000084c6}

=2Eident =3D=3D 1 is stdout.
=2Efilter =3D=3D 0x fffffffe is -2 is EVFILT_WRITE which makes sense for =
stdout.
=2Efflags is empty, nothing out of ordinary for EVFILT_WRITE.
And here comes the oddity: .flags =3D=3D 0x0001 means EV_ADD which totall=
doesn't make sense to me and neither does according to man kqueue. The
code that exhibits this behaviour is io_loop_handler_run() in
ioloop-kqueue.c of Dovecot IMAP server.

I have re-read the docs more than once but I haven't noticed any sign of
that EV_ADD could be set for EVFILT_WRITE filter when I am receiving the
events through kevent() funtion. I am out of ideas what to do with it.

So I am asking all you hackers for any ideas of what might be going
wrong. Is it the code in Dovecot or is it FreeBSD that is doing
something wrong?

Vaclav Haisman