Date:      Sun, 7 Jul 2002 15:21:53 -0400
From:      Andrew J Caines <A.J.Caines@halplant.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Help required for dynamic DNS home network, please

sagacious,

> Im not sure what you mean by that, i am fairly new to this list, so please
> explain to me, heres what i think im doing and am supposed to do, i look
> through the emails i get, and if i see one i can help with, i click reply,
> and email it just to "Freebsd-questions@freebsd.org" This way other people
> can learn from his problem and my solution. Am i only supposed to email him
> only?

The convention if you are giving knowledgeable support [ie. you know the
answer (or think you do)] is to reply to the poster and the list, since
the poster may not be subscribed and your wisdom gets shared with the
subscribers and archived. Of course if you know the poster is a
subscriber, then don't send to both.

If you're adding a data point [eg "it works for me"], asking for more
information or doing something of value to the poster, but not to the
list, then it's probably best to email the poster and not waste all the
list subscribers' time. Ideally, the poster will have some kind of
informative followup to the list later.

Those are just guidelines, not an edict. As you follow this and other
lists, you'll see what has value.

> The last thing i want to do is annoy anyone so if im wrong in my thinking
> of this please let me know so i dont humiliate myself further. =]

You will inevitably annoy some people, so trust your judgment and
contribute value to the list and you'll do ok.

-Andrew-