Date:      Sat, 26 Aug 2000 00:26:56 +0300
From:      Fred Souza <cseg@kronus.com.br>
To:        security@freebsd.org
Subject:   nmap OS detection

Hi all,

  I don't know if it's the right place to ask this, but since it's directly
  related to security, I think I'm not too wrong. :)

  I've trying to audit my network using nmap, but there's something wrong.
  It scans the hosts correctly, but it doesn't detect the remote hosts OSes.

  I was using the kernel option net.inet.tcp.drop_synfin, and it was causing
  nmap to not even being able to determine my own localhost OS.  After disa-
  bling that option, it now can tell I'm using a FreeBSD 4.1 box.

  But it still cannot tell what OSes remote systems run.  I've tried to boot
  the system without any changes through sysctl, and nothing.  Tried to disa-
  ble the firewall (ipf), because I thought it could possibly be any configu-
  ration mistakes, but no luck.

  I even tried to detect remote OS from outside my network, against lots of
  random hosts, and none of those it did so.  Any ideas on how to fix that?

Thanks in advance,
Fred.

--
Watch your code, or it'll get you.