Date:      Tue, 15 Jan 2002 16:20:55 -0800 (PST)
From:      David Wolfskill <david@catwhisker.org>
To:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   -CURRENT as of 14 Jan seems slow

I've been tracking -CURRENT daily, both on a dual-833 MhZ "build
machine" and on my laptop.  I still do the bulk of my "real work"
while running -STABLE, so the main workout I give -CURRENT is
in building the following day's -CURRENT.

I mention this in order to provide a bit of perspective in what follows.

After ensuring that the update to my local CVS repository is complete,
I do a "cvs update" against the sources for the OS, checking for
anything weird (especially conflicts with local patches, which I
resolve), then, as root, under script (well, and screen, too), I
issue a crude little csh alias.  On the build box, it looks like
(with escapes to avoid the wrapping):

whoami && mount && cd /usr/src && uname -a && \
date && make -j8 buildworld && \
date && make kernel KERNCONF=FREEBEAST && \
date && make installworld && \
date && mergemaster -u 0022 -i && \
date && df -k

(On the laptop, the kernel name changes, and I use -j4 for the "make
buildworld"; it is otherwise identical.)

For grins, I am in the habit of keeping as many as 2 of the resulting
"script" output files.  And this works out nicely for quantifying the
observation that yesterday's -CURRENT was considerably slower than
usual:

freebeast(4.5-RC)[2] grep '^... Jan 1[45]' current{,.?}
current:Tue Jan 15 05:42:01 PST 2002
current:Tue Jan 15 11:02:31 PST 2002
current:Tue Jan 15 12:06:17 PST 2002
current:Tue Jan 15 12:29:18 PST 2002
current:Tue Jan 15 12:51:16 PST 2002
current.0:Mon Jan 14 05:23:25 PST 2002
current.0:Mon Jan 14 07:07:11 PST 2002
current.0:Mon Jan 14 07:27:03 PST 2002
current.0:Mon Jan 14 08:34:55 PST 2002
current.0:Mon Jan 14 08:43:45 PST 2002
current.0:Mon Jan 14 08:44:40 PST 2002

(That was the "build machine"; here's the laptop)

g1-7(4.5-RC)[1] grep '^... Jan 1[45]' current{,.?}
current:Tue Jan 15 06:36:02 PST 2002
current:Tue Jan 15 11:52:14 PST 2002
current:Tue Jan 15 12:39:47 PST 2002
current:Tue Jan 15 12:58:32 PST 2002
current:Tue Jan 15 13:00:15 PST 2002
current.0:Mon Jan 14 06:42:15 PST 2002
current.0:Mon Jan 14 08:37:31 PST 2002
current.0:Mon Jan 14 08:58:35 PST 2002
current.0:Mon Jan 14 09:09:22 PST 2002
current.0:Mon Jan 14 09:10:10 PST 2002

So, on the build machine, the "make -j8 buildworld" took 1:43:46 on
Monday, but today, it took 5:20:30.  On the laptop, the times were
1:55:16 and 5:16:12, respectively.  Even I noticed *those* differences!
(And part of the "make buildworld" on the laptop was on battery power,
while I was driving in to work....  It's actually even worse than that,
because of what I needed to do to the laptop's AC adapter after I got
in to work, but that's rather beside the point for this note.)

Now, I'm not doing anything to try to cut corners -- I don't mount any
file systems noatime; I'm not using -DNOCLEAN; none of that stuff.  And
I certainly didn't change /etc/make.conf between the runs.  And neither
machine was doing anything else at the time:  I build -STABLE before
building -CURRENT, so by the time the build machine was building
-CURRENT, it wasn't doing anything else.

I've made a list of the files that got updated in Monday's cvs update,
but this message is rather long enough without adding 88 more lines.  I
can trim off obviously unrelated files, I suppose -- then again, it
could well be that changes that went in this morning have already
addressed the issue.  In any case, here's a summary of recent CVSup
activity:

freebeast(4.5-RC)[4] tail /var/log/cvsup-history.log
CVSup begin from cvsup14.freebsd.org at Fri Jan 11 03:47:02 PST 2002
CVSup ended from cvsup14.freebsd.org at Fri Jan 11 03:53:28 PST 2002
CVSup begin from cvsup14.freebsd.org at Sat Jan 12 03:47:05 PST 2002
CVSup ended from cvsup14.freebsd.org at Sat Jan 12 03:54:10 PST 2002
CVSup begin from cvsup14.freebsd.org at Sun Jan 13 03:47:03 PST 2002
CVSup ended from cvsup14.freebsd.org at Sun Jan 13 03:54:02 PST 2002
CVSup begin from cvsup14.freebsd.org at Mon Jan 14 03:47:02 PST 2002
CVSup ended from cvsup14.freebsd.org at Mon Jan 14 03:53:27 PST 2002
CVSup begin from cvsup14.freebsd.org at Tue Jan 15 03:47:02 PST 2002
CVSup ended from cvsup14.freebsd.org at Tue Jan 15 03:54:00 PST 2002

(After updating the CVS repository on the build machine, I use that as a
source and update a CVS repository on the laptop, so save for various
kernel options, the base OS should be pretty close between the two.)

So... is this worth pursuing a bit more?

Thanks,
david (http://www.catwhisker.org/~david/resume.{ps,pdf,html,txt})
I believe it would be irresponsible (and thus, unethical) for me to advise,
recommend, or support the use of any product that is or depends on any
Microsoft product for any purpose other than personal amusement.