Date:      Sat, 27 May 2000 11:09:22 -0700
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@3-cities.com>
To:        John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: make release

John Baldwin wrote:

> On 27-May-00 Kent Stewart wrote:
> > I've used CVS but not enough to remember the proper terminology. What
> > has my interest is getting people started with 4.0-Stable. A build
> > world of some of these machines won't take forever but it's close :).
> > I know most of them will go with the CD subscription if I can get them
> > interested.
>
> Do note that daily builds of 4.x are performed and put up for FTP
> installation at releng4.FreeBSD.org.  -current snapshots are available
> from current.FreeBSD.org as well.  If you have the bandwidth, it's
> probably easier to just install from those machines instead of going
> to the hassle of rolling your own release.

I think this is really true. What would be nice is to have the source
and the binary on a CDROM. I got to looking at the whole release
question and thought that was drastic overkill. I'm still cvsup'ing
:). I came to the conclusion before I started cvsup'ing early this
morning but decided to go through with it to see how much time is
required. When it finishes, I may make a release or just write it to a
couple of dat tapes (an original and a copy) as a hedge aginst some
future need. I'll have a CVSROOT of 27 May 2000. A tarball of just
CVSROOT may be the break point. It will probably be small enough to
fit on one CD.

The just_ftp is workable but sort of on the under kill side, i.e., I
have binaries but still need to cvsup the /usr/src before I can build
a modified kernel. This is where I get concerned. The ftp could work
but the sources could be out of sync with the binaries and the cvsup
causes problems building a kernel. I'm also a believer in the Stable
line. I never used 3.0 and the claim is 4.0 is better. There were
problems with 4.0 that were quickly fixed. I want the system I install
to be past that point. It doesn't happen very often but it would also
be embarassing to caught in the middle of that fairly rare occasion
when you can't build because of a commit error. I think the odds of
creating a undetected coaster cd is around the same frequency.

This consistent set was why I was thinking of the make release but I
don't want to build everything on the CD. I want a working source and
binary set that was based on the 4.0-Stable that I am using. If I
start out with something I know works, the install is straight forward
and I'll be home in an hour or so. I could start out using 4.0-Release
CD and could do the initial install from it. I could also use the CD I
produced from the 4.0-iso that I downloaded and burned before WC
shipped their first CD's. The next step is building their first
kernel. I figure that if I had a CD with tarball's of /usr/src and
/usr/obj, I could extract the files, generate a new kernel for their
system, reboot to single user mode and do the installworld. Then, I
could run mergemaster, reboot and have the same OS on their system as
the one I am using on my machines but one that is specifically
tailored to their hardware. They're happy and purchase the 4-cd's to
get the packages. I'm pleased because I have another convert to
FreeBSD.

Kent

--
Kent Stewart
Richland, WA

mailto:kstewart@3-cities.com

SETI(Search for Extraterrestrial Intelligence) @ HOME
http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/

Hunting Archibald Stewart, b 1802 in Ballymena, Antrim Co., NIR
http://www.3-cities.com/~kstewart/genealogy/archibald_stewart.html