Date:      Sat, 19 Sep 1998 01:49:04 +0100 (BST)
From:      Michael Searle <searle@longacre.demon.co.uk>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        Robert Clark <Clark@open.org>, "freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Root Disk Backup.

On Fri 18 Sep, brian@worldcontrol.com wrote:
> On  0, Robert Clark <Clark@open.org> wrote:

<snip>

> > If you dump a binary image of said HD, compression won't do much. Even
> > if the HD is only 10% in use, the compression algorithm won't know what
> > is files, and what is deleted files.
>
> I generally get around 50% compression with gzip on the raw size of
> the disk.  bzip2 is too slow because it doesn't like compressing large
> areas of similar data (blank sectors).  A fully used filesystem might
> not have this problem.

bzip2 --repetitive-fast speeds things up a lot for such large areas.
Bzip2 is still very slow compared to gzip (takes me about 3 hours to bzip2
a 600MB tar backup on a Pentium, although this is with --repetitive-best),
but it does have the advantage of being recoverable from errors in the
compressed archive.

--
csubl@csv.warwick.ac.uk