Date:      Wed, 28 Apr 1999 15:14:54 -0500
From:      Alan Cox <alc@cs.rice.edu>
To:        Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
Cc:        Chuck Robey <chuckr@picnic.mat.net>, Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>, Luoqi Chen <luoqi@watermarkgroup.com>, current@freebsd.org, smp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: HEADS UP! to commit SMP vmspace sharing patches

On Wed, Apr 28, 1999 at 11:19:17AM -0700, Matthew Dillon wrote:
>     I know this is a little late ... but I don't suppose there might be a
>     way to lock a TLB entry in place?  That would solve the problem too.
>     Baring that, %fs is the way to go.

Unfortunately, on the x86, the answer is "No."  The only serious
alternative was to put the commonly used per processor variables
and a pointer to the less commonly used ones at the base of each
process's/thread's kernel stack, i.e., the upages, where you could
mask off bits from the stack pointer to arrive at the correct address.
You'd then have to "refresh" most of these variables on a context switch
(in case the process migrated).

	Alan