Date:      Mon, 6 Mar 95 14:33:02 MST
From:      terry@cs.weber.edu (Terry Lambert)
To:        davidg@Root.COM
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: "Text file busy" with program not running anymore?

>    The man page says it insures that all disk writes have completed (for the
> command) and that modified buffers are written out (for the system call). Yes,
> it does indeed still do this (and in fact, has been extended to write out all
> modified pages in the system as well). Since the problem mentioned above has
> nothing to do with writes completing or modified buffers being synced, I fail
> to see how your comment is relevant.

Sorry, I was under the impression that the cache was actually flushed as
a result.

> Once again, the problem is that the pager
> of a cached object retains a reference to the vnode while it exists and the
> VTEXT flag isn't cleared when the object is put into the object cache. This
> shouldn't be a difficult problem to solve. (Although a quick hack I just added
> to do this very thing isn't working as expected - which suggests that there
> may be a (reference count) problem with objects going into the cache
> correctly.)

Yes; I think without a split cache, reference count will be a big issue.

Like I said in other mail, you can hack this by fetching from the cache,
and if you get a hit, consider the reference count one lower than it's
actual value and force a cache flush of the object when you unset VTEXT.

This is relatively high overhead; I would call it unacceptably high.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@cs.weber.edu
---
or previous employers.