Date:      Fri, 10 Nov 2000 08:04:51 +0200
From:      Marc Silver <marcs@draenor.org>
To:        Tim McMillen <timcm@umich.edu>
Cc:        nathan <beemern@telecom.ksu.edu>, "John E. Adams" <adamsj@polksheriff.org>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Packet size

From what I recall, you're right Tim.  The problem comes when you have a
larger MTU under FreeBSD than Windows can cope with by default.  What
ends up happening is that the packet sizes are too large for the Windows
machines and so you have data loss between windows machines using
FreeBSD as a gateway etc.

Cheers,
Marc

On Thu, Nov 09, 2000 at 12:42:33PM -0500, Tim McMillen wrote:

> That may be how you do it, but correct me if I'm wrong, it's not a very
> good idea.   I saw a message regarding this and I don't know what the
> reason was.  Something about it's already where it's supposed to be, and
> changing it can cause instabilities.  It is possible the message was
> refferring to something more specific than TCP.  So like I said if
> somebody knows, correct me.
>
> 					Tim
>
> On Thu, 9 Nov 2000, nathan wrote:
>
> > i love the mailing list archives.
> > searching for "tcp window" i found:
> >
> > --snip--
> > freebsd, you can set many system parameters using sysctl.
> > If I remember correctly, you want to set the parameter
> > net.inet.tcp.receivespace.  You can get a complete list of
> > settings with command sysctl -A.
> > --snip--
> >
> > eg on my box:
> >
> > sysctl -A | grep net

Change will happen whether we're still or moving...
	-- Toad the Wet Sprocket