Date:      Mon, 5 Apr 1999 11:28:21 +1200
From:      "Dan Langille" <junkmale@xtra.co.nz>
To:        "jeff.minick@nationsbank.com" <jeff.minick@nationsbank.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Installing FreeBSD from a DOS partition

On 4 Apr 99, at 18:52, jeff.minick@nationsbank.com wrote:

> system: compaq systempro/lt 4gig disk space 60m ram
>
> tried running the cd from dos...didn't work.
> help!  I have copied the entire 1st cd of release3.1 onto my DOS
> partition(c:\freebsd\), I have also copied the bin dir from the 2nd cd
> into c:\freebsd\bin.  I ran through the install and at the end of mounting
> the newfs it said cannot extract distributions because they were not on
> the installation media specified: bin doc manpages proflibs dict info
> compat22

I think that's because it actually wants the files in a different place.
I used c:\bin but I think c:\release will work.  If that fails, see what I
did on my website:

http://www.freebsddiary.com/freebsd/dual.htm

If that doesn't get it working, please let us know.

> when i reboot to FreeBSD I get
>
> no /boot/loader
> >>FreeBSD/i386 BOOT
> Default: 0:wd(0,a)/kernel
> boot:
> No /kernel
> >>FreeBSD/i386 BOOT
> Default: 0:wd(0,a)/kernel
> boot:
>
> and leaves me there.

Yep.  That's because it removed the old kerenel.  If you do an ls, you'll
see kernel.prev.  You can boot with that one.

--
Dan Langille
The FreeBSD Diary