Date:      Mon, 30 May 2011 09:48:13 -0700
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        bschmidt@freebsd.org
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Any experience with ThinkPad T420/T520

> Sender: Bernhard Schmidt <bschmidt@techwires.net>
> From: Bernhard Schmidt <bschmidt@freebsd.org>
> Date: Mon, 30 May 2011 09:15:53 +0200
>
> On Sunday, May 29, 2011 18:53:43 Kevin Oberman wrote:
> > I'm about to order  new laptop and I am looking at a Lenovo ThinkPad
> > T520. Does anyone have experience with this model? Anything that should
> > cause alarm? I plan on getting the nVidia 4200N graphics which should
> > work with the nVidia driver.
>
> What's the current state of "Optimus" support? Last time I've
> checked the NVIDIA driver had no support for that so you might
> be stuck with the Intel GPU.

I just went to the nVidia web site and it shows the latest FreeBSD
driver supports this GPU "4200M" and the page on Optimus states tha it
is "completely automatic". The driver download page makes no reference
to "Optimus" for any platform.

It does state that the NVS 4200M is supported on both 32 and 64 bit
FreeBSD with the 270.41.19, the version in the current port.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)