Date:      Tue, 28 Mar 1995 17:18:44 +0100 (BST)
From:      Paul Richards <paul@isl.cf.ac.uk>
To:        wollman@halloran-eldar.lcs.mit.edu (Garrett Wollman)
Cc:        wollman@halloran-eldar.lcs.mit.edu, phk@ref.tfs.com, current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: shared library versioning

> <<On Tue, 28 Mar 1995 11:27:21 +0100 (BST), Paul Richards <paul@isl.cf.ac.uk> said:
>
> > Yeah, I agree with this. During the release cycle we can handle any
> > library problems ourselves by recompiling what we need to.
>
> > We maybe should have some mechanism for tracking this so that we know when
> > changing the libraries that someone has already bumped the numbers since the
> > last release.
>
> Well, all that's really needed is a file (I propose
> /usr/share/misc/shlib-numbers) which lists the shared-libraries and
> minor numbers used in each release.  I will do this today if somebody
> doesn't beat me to it.

I'm not sure I like that idea, since people will forget to either check the
file or keep it up to date.

I'd prefer some comment in the Makefile that flags that the library beens
bumped and then have a script which runs through the tree removing these
comments as part of the release process so they're clean at the start of the
next release.
--
  Paul Richards, FreeBSD core team member.
  Internet: paul@FreeBSD.org,  URL: http://isl.cf.ac.uk/~paul/