Date:      Mon, 26 May 2003 22:21:42 +0300
From:      Alexey Zelkin <phantom@FreeBSD.org.ua>
To:        ticso@cicely.de
Cc:        freebsd-java@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: jdk on alpha

Sorry to say, but I doubt that you'll be able to even compile (someday)
jdk14 on alpha.  Unlike jdk13 it does not have classic VM implementation
and it means that first pre-requisite of new platform port is MD
implementation for cpu/ part.  Unfortunatelly I doubt that I, you or somebody
will be able to port it to alpha (since this is mostly "do it from scratch"
task) without significant time investments and not being Sun employee.

Since Sun provides HotSpot's CPU implementations for 'i386', 'sparc' and
'ia64' platforms only -- there're some chances that someday these
will be supported by FreeBSD, but nothing more.

PS: I am speaking about HotSpot Java World only.

On Mon, May 26, 2003 at 06:50:17PM +0200, Bernd Walter wrote:
> On Mon, May 26, 2003 at 10:25:44AM -0600, Nate Williams wrote:
> > > What are the outstanding issues?
> > >
> > > I've read on http://kjkoster.org/java/content/newarch.jsp that
> > > invokeNative_alpha.s needs to be done.
> > > Is this still true?
> >
> > Yes.
>
> OK - that needs to be done.

Keep in mind -- it's for classic VM only (i.e. no JIT and 1.3 only).

[..]