Date:      Wed, 3 May 2000 13:39:26 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Andrew J. Korty" <ajk@iu.edu>
To:        Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
Cc:        security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Cryptographic dump(8)

On Wed, 3 May 2000, Matthew Dillon wrote:

>     Store something like this in the header:
>
>     [random (16 bytes)][MD5 of entire header including random, not including
>     the MD5 itself]
>
>     [ .................. entire block is encrypted (entire header, including
>     random and MD5)]
>
>     Restore would then decrypt the header using the user-supplied key, then
>     MD5 it and compare the MD5 against the decrypted MD5.
>
>     Storing a random sequence in the header that is MD5'd as well as
>     encrypted is very important because otherwise someone trying to break
>     the encryption can 'guess' at what the contents of the header was in
>     order to try to reverse-engineer the encryption.

That sounds good, but I should probably leave the very first
header as cleartext.  That way, I can put a flag there to tell
restore whether or not this tape is encrypted or not.

>     Also, putting a random number in each block is important if each block
>     is separately encrypted, for the same reason.

Would it be acceptable to encrypt the header and block together
but each header/block pair separately?  I don't think I have room
to add anything in the block, so maybe I could get that randomness
from what I add to the header (CBC should propagate it a little).

--
Andrew J. Korty, Lead Security Engineer
Office of the Vice President for Information Technology