Date:      Fri, 22 Oct 2004 13:25:21 +0200
From:      "Jorn Argelo" <jorn@wcborstel.nl>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Corrupted file system?

Hi folks,

I've been installing the i386 port (5.2.1-P11) on my AMD64 (because I got sick
of the cvsup problem). So that all went fine, I've compiled KDE from source
and stuff, no problem. But now I wanted to start KDE (which has been working
fine yesterday). So I tried to login and said that it could not find iceauth
in its path.

So I checked and I was sure the file was there. (/usr/X11R6/bin/) Rebooted
into single user mode and fixed up a whole bunch of errors. Used /sbin/reboot
to reboot the machine, and I still had the problem. So I tried it again, and
again it fixed problems, but now in the root directory as well. So I booted
again into normal mode, and I could still not login. I checked, and fsck was
still picking things out. So when I reboot the FS seems to be being messed up
or something (And yes, I used the -y option).

I didn't unmount the drive cleanly one time because the machine locked up
(problem with the nvidia-driver). I can't imagine that the entire filesystem
got messed up because of one unclean unmount. So what can I do about it?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jorn.