Date:      Wed, 24 May 1995 09:18:16 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Thomas Graichen <graichen@sirius.physik.fu-berlin.de>
To:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   more about: "arp info overwritten" problem

hello

here i am again - i asked somebody here who has to do much with our local
network and also knows much about it and he said about the following:

>>> here i often get the "arp info overwritten for 130.133.255.255 from ..."
>>> aroud every 1/4 i get this and i think it's because FreeBSD keeps the
>>> broadcast adress in his arp cache -> arp -a looks like:
>>
>> No, it's because some stupid machine on your network is arping for the
>> broadcast address.

that he can't exclude that some machines are arping for the broadcast address
but he also said that should not disturd FreeBSD - a broadcast address should
never come into an arp-table - it's the thing for FreeBSD to make sure that
this might never happen

he also said it might be that FreeBSD has problems with that if the broadcast
entry can be resolved by the nameserver (we have here an entry for
BROADCAST.fu-berlin.de in the nameserver - he said it's not normal but it's
also not forbidden to have such)

maybe this helps you further - t

p.s.: yesterday i got the following message - what does that mean ?

/vmunix: arp: ether address is broadcast for IP address 130.133.3.193!

                                                  __||
 Perfection is reached, not when there is no  __||       thomas graichen
 longer anything to add, but when there   __||      freie universitaet berlin
 is no longer anything to take away   __||              fachbereich physik
                                  __||
 - Antoine de Saint-Exupery - __||
 ___________________________||____email: graichen@omega.physik.fu-berlin.de____