Date:      Fri, 10 Dec 2004 22:24:26 +0930
From:      Hugh Ekeberg <ekeberg@bigpond.net.au>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: bsd book

On Thu, 9 Dec 2004 22:02, Florian Hengstberger wrote:
> Hi!
> I need help concerning free-bsd literature:
>
> Two books seem to be interesting ("the complete freebsd",
> "absolute bsd") but although I had a look at both I'm not quite
> sure which one to buy.
> What I want is a deep bsd-specific guide covering mostly freebsd related
> topic such as the kernel, system administration and of
> course as much networking as possible.
> I want to avoid paying for a 100-pages introduction to c-shell or
> bash (with wich I'm now familiar with) or a man-page like overview
> of the basic unix commands (ls and cd are under control now!).
> So which one of the two books would you recommend.
> If both are ok: what's the difference?
>
> Thanks a lot
> Florian

I own "The Complete FreeBSD", but a keep going back to the Handbook for most
of my information. I find "The Complete FreeBSD a little too general for my
needs.

The operating-system specific books don't go into networking too deeply. I
thoroughly recommend :TCP/IP Network Administration" to set up your FreeBSD
networks, servers and routers. The TCP/IP book explains differences for
FreeBSD as well as Red Hat, Solaris and others.