Date:      Thu, 19 Sep 1996 10:20:56 +0200
From:      Stefan Grefen <grefen@carpe.net>
To:        FREEBSD-SCSI-L <freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        FREEBSD-CURRENT-L <freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org>, FREEBSD-ISP-L <freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: Streamlogic RAID array benchmarks

In message <Pine.NEB.3.92.960917173042.7033P-100000@zap.io.org>  Brian Tao wrote:

[...]

>     All the usual tools under FreeBSD treat the RAID as a single
> drive.  The default stripe size is 8K, RAID 5 (striping with parity).
> This can be changed via the LCD keypad on the unit itself, or with a
> VT-100 interface via the serial port.
>
>     The tests were conducted on newly newfs'd filesystems.  sd0 is the
> single 4GB drive and sd1 is the RAID.  A unit from CMD should be
> arriving next week, so I'll have another product to benchmark.
> Comments welcome, and please note the Reply-To.

You see the benefits of a RAID array only if you access it with
stripe-block size or multiple of it. Especially writes suffer from
bad performance if you write fractions of a stripe-block (since it first
has to read the the remainder of it or the parity block (or both) depending on
implementation and where the fractional access occurred). This gives you
a high latency which is results in poor performance at least for single-stream
access.
I assume from your statements that they use the 3 disks as  "Data Data Parity"
not as a 'true' RAID 5  "Data Data Data Data Parity" (this would have other
side effects too).

Assuming that 'stripe size is 8K' means that it has 4K blocks on each drive,
Every request <8K is SLOW. (it can also mean 8k blocks on each drive
which will demand 16k blocks, the phrase 'stripe size' is used different
by different vendors).
Some of the RAID drives can be configured to complete the SCSI operation
when the block is in memory instead when it is commited to disk. This
has the same effect as a disk write buffer (with the disadvanatge that it
isn't written in case of a power failure). This can't be turned of on
some CMD arrays (the recommend to only use it with an UPS).

You need to newfs your filesystem to at least 8 (or 16k) blocksize in
the default configuration.
This ensures that the majority of writes are as fast as possible.
If you have large files and writes you can go for even bigger blocksizes.
If you have lots of small files reduce the RAID block to the minimum value
and use smaller blocksizes.

For 'normally' used filesystems a 1-1 mapping of stripe-blocks to filesystem
blocks gives (on most systems) the best overall performance.
(You have to balance bandwidth versus latency).

On the other hand if the Seagate uses a write buffer and tagged queuing
and the RAID doesn't it'll loose on any non purely sequential access.

To figure out how fast the RAID can go just dd a huge file (/dev/zero)
to and from the raw partition with different blocksizes.

$ time dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/rsd1a bs=4196 count=5120	# this will be SLOW
$ time dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/rsd1a bs=8192 count=10240
$ time dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/rsd1a bs=16384 count=5120

Another good test is to talk to Arrays Cache (turn on every bit of performance
switch you can find regardless of data-security) and write as above with
the minmum possible request size to it. (512). This gives you the upper-limit
on scsi-transaction the drives can handle on your bus. (don't be suprised if
it maxes out at 500 (250 k) or so :-) )).

Stefan

--
Stefan Grefen                            Am Grossberg 16, 55130 Mainz, Germany
grefen@carpe.net                         +49 6131 998566   Fax:+49 6131 998568