Date:      Sat, 31 Jul 2004 00:12:38 +0200
From:      Roman Kennke <roman@ontographics.com>
To:        openoffice@freebsd.org
Subject:   ugly Java dependency in OOo

Hi there,

I just wanted to build OOo from ports and found that it depends on the
FreeBSD native JDK. The problem I see here is, that this requires me to
agree to the Sun Community Source License, which is indeed a very crazy
license. I worked around this by just symlinking
/usr/local/linux-sun-jdk1.4.2 to /usr/local/jdk1.4.2 and it works
equally well. So why not make the OOo port depends on that JDK? Or even
better: on the Blackdown-Linux-JDK, so that the user doesn't have to be
interrupted and required to download an installer?

Of course, I think the best thing would be to leave out these Java
dependencies altogether. This is what Debian and Fedora people do. They
have patches for that.

But for now, I propose to change dependencies on jdk14 to
linux-sun-jdk14, which is no big deal IMO, since building jdk14 also
requires the linux-jdk.

Kind regards,
Roman