Date:      Thu, 02 Oct 1997 10:38:04 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        Gareth McCaughan <gjm11@dpmms.cam.ac.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Automating use of FTP mirror sites

> So, I have a little Perl script that takes a list of ftp: URLs,
> consults a table of FTP mirroring relationships and another table
> of good and bad places to get files from, and spits out a list
> of ftp: URLs that (1) contains all the original places, (2) also
> contains all known mirror sites for them, and (3) arranges them
> in order of preference.

Heh.  Great minds think alike. ;-)

I was discussing this just 4 or 5 months ago with someone else, during
our last big debate about whether or not ftp.freebsd.org should
automatically go first in the order based on the law of averages
(which says that you'll typically get it there first a lot faster than
you'll find it on some Timbuktoo master site, as is generally the
case).  I definitely agree that, at the least, there should be some
sort of "hook" for doing on-the-fly transformation of FTP URLs.

But then, I never got past the "gee, wouldn't this be nice" stage.
It looks like you made it a fair bit further. :)

					Jordan