Date:      Tue, 3 Sep 1996 13:16:31 +0100 (BST)
From:      Doug Rabson <dfr@render.com>
To:        freebsd-lite2@freebsd.org
Subject:   Some progress

I just managed to mount an NFS filesystem using a lite2-fs-based kernel.
When is the lite2 patch likely to go into our new CVS tree?  I have quite
a few non-NFS changes on top of Jeffrey's last patch set and the easiest
way to merge them is obviously CVS.

Do we care much about backwards compatibility to userland?  The vfsconf
structure has changed (along with all the ufs/nfs/xxfs_args structures)
which makes the getvfsbyname/type choke.  Also the low 16 bits of the
flags in vfc_flags seem to be used by mount(2) as initial mount flags for
the new mount and this conflicts with the VFCF_* flags in mount.h.
Shifting these values up 16 bits allowed me to mount my filesystems
non-readonly (VCFC_STATIC was being interpreted as MNT_RDONLY).

We need to merge the lite2 userland fs programs (mount, umount, mount_*
etc). We probably don't really need to do this in the lite2 cvs tree since
the changes are pretty simple.  Even so, a lot of stuff breaks when you
try doing a make world with the lite2 headers.

--
Doug Rabson, Microsoft RenderMorphics Ltd.	Mail:  dfr@render.com
						Phone: +44 171 734 3761