Date:      Mon, 29 Oct 2001 19:04:40 +0200
From:      Peter Pentchev <roam@ringlet.net>
To:        Nils Holland <nils@tisys.org>
Cc:        postmaster@daimi.au.dk, security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: VIRUS IN YOUR MAIL

On Mon, Oct 29, 2001 at 04:58:06PM +0100, Nils Holland wrote:
> On Mon, 29 Oct 2001 postmaster@daimi.au.dk wrote:
>
> >                            V I R U S  A L E R T
> >
> > Our viruschecker found the
> >
> > 	'W32/Klez'
> >
> > virus(es) in your email to the following recipient(s):
> >
> > -> <FARRET@DAIMI.AU.DK>
>
> This is probably (no, definately!) off-topic, but I have seen these damn
> eMail virus scanners running havoc several times. If a virus gets send to
> a crowsed mailing lists, such warnings as the one above can occur *in the
> hundreds* (yes, I have counted). taking that into account, I thought that
> eMail worms were so bad because when they spread themselves, they caused a
> lot of network badwith to be used. Now, I wonder if there's any difference
> in the badwidth being used by the worm virus/worm spreading, or by the
> virus scanners sending out their warning messages...

The problem is not virus scanners per se, the problem is *broken* virus
scanners which do not send their automated replies to the right address.
They are supposed to honor the Return-Path in the message header, and
send all automated replies to a special Majordomo alias (owner-listname),
which swallows them and takes note of which subscriber sends the most
of these.  At some point, I think automatic unsubscription takes place,
but even if it does not, mail sent to owner-listname does not reach
the list.

Now go explain all of this to the scanners' writers.  Apparently,
everyone who has tried so far has failed :(

G'luck,
Peter

--
If this sentence didn't exist, somebody would have invented it.