Date:      Sun, 12 Nov 1995 00:19:35 -0600
From:      rkw@dataplex.net (Richard Wackerbarth)
To:        Mark Valentine <mark@linus.demon.co.uk>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.org, root@deadline.snafu.de
Subject:   Getting to the root of  building Makefiles

Mark Valentine <mark@linus.demon.co.uk> writes:
>One way to help make source trees self-sufficient might be to start every
>Makefile with something like:
>
>    TOP = ../..
>
>    .MAKEFLAGS: -I${TOP}/share/mk
>
>(where the ../.. varies according to the position in the source tree).

Generally on the right line of thinking ...
Only you cannot always use ../.. to get back to the correct top of the tree.
If I merge multiple trees with symbolic links, then I cannot follow
the tree up to get to the root of MY tree.
The other problem with this approach is that it is some inconvenience to
move a sub tree. For example, if we wished to merge the gnu tree with the
usr.bin tree, or conversely, if we wished to split a collection out of the
tree and place in its own alternate tree.

My approach would be to establish a ROOT and reference the MAKEFLAGS
relative to that root. After all, we need the same facility for the
includes, etc.

----
Richard Wackerbarth
rkw@dataplex.net