Date:      Fri, 28 Jan 2000 16:05:20 -0600
From:      Bob Willcox <bob@luke.immure.com>
To:        Martin Welk <mw@theatre.sax.de>
Cc:        questions list <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD & Win98 2nd ed coexistance?

On Fri, Jan 28, 2000 at 10:55:41PM +0100, Martin Welk wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 28, 2000 at 03:02:45PM -0600, Bob Willcox wrote:
>
> > Problem is that after Windows setup dutifully formats the 2nd partition
> > it then claims that the format had an error and is not compatible.  I
> > have done this a couple of times so I'm quite certain that unless I come
> > up with some new approach there's no sense in trying it again. :-(
>
> I had no such difficulties when installing Windows 98 besides FreeBSD, but
> it was a desktop machine with a SCSI disk. As Windows 98 overrides the
> master boot records (which usually holds the BOOTEASY boot manager coming
> with FreeBSD), it is always recommended to install Windows after FreeBSD.
> Perhaps you should try it this way? (And if there is something wrong with
> your disk, I would guess, FreeBSD will tell you more than Windows :-) )

Well, if my memory serves me, I have also managed to install Windows
after FreeBSD on a desktop system (though it too was an IDE drive,
unlike your case).  On this laptop, though, it just refuses to install
into the 2nd partition.  Seems to be tripping over its own stupidity
(afterall, it just finished formating the 2nd partition so at least part
of the code knows which partition its working with).

Bob

--
Bob Willcox                 Idleness is the holiday of fools.
bob@pmr.com                      -- Anonymous