Date:      Mon, 12 Dec 2016 21:27:14 -0800
From:      Kevin Oberman <rkoberman@gmail.com>
To:        "Julian H. Stacey" <jhs@berklix.com>
Cc:        Shane Ambler <FreeBSD@shaneware.biz>, "Janky Jay, III" <jankyj@unfs.us>,  FreeBSD Ports ML <freebsd-ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: The ports collection has some serious issues

On Mon, Dec 12, 2016 at 11:31 AM, Julian H. Stacey <jhs@berklix.com> wrote:

> > I would say this rarely happens with the default setup, the more port
> > options you change the more likely it is something will break.
>
> Yes, I now start:  cd /var/db/ports; mv * MV/* ; setenv NO_DIALOG=YES
> Before:  cd /usr/ports; make BERKLIX_CLIENT=YES # Uses
> ports/*/Makefile.local
>         (still innumerable breaks of course on 1200 ports inc deps.)
>
> I can re-enable options for a 2nd pass rebuild for the very
> few ports need it (maybe some better way?).
>
> poudriere's `-f' is nice to accept a list.
> But I havent found a way to build my list yet from my Makefile.local eg
>         cd /usr/ports; make BERKLIX_CLIENT=YES echo_my_category_and_port
> I'll probably hack bsd.port.mk & bsd.port.subdir.mk
>
> ${CATEGORIES}/${PORTNAME} is not quite usable, as eg mail/exmh2 emits
> "mail tk/exmh". Maybe just `pwd` & strip with sed PORTSDIR ?
>
> Cheers,
> Julian
> --
> Julian Stacey, BSD Linux Unix Sys Eng Consultant Munich
>  Reply below, Prefix '> '. Plain text, No .doc, base64, HTML,
> quoted-printable.
>  http://berklix.eu/brexit/#stolen_votes

Just to d one more opinion to this thread, I really agree with Julian that
there needs to be a saved quarterly and an active quarterly for exactly the
reasons he stated. the jump from quarter to quarter obviates many of the
advantages of a quarterly branch

Second, I am a bit bewildered at the people who have so much trouble  with
building from ports. I use portmaster and really wish there was an option
to try to continue when a port bombs, but it works well for me. Just this
weekend I had to re-build about 90 ports and it went of without a hitch. It
is to have at least some understanding of how ports work to minimize
problems. Thing like MAKE_JOBS_UNSAFE and trying to wait a bit (a few
hours) and trying to update the sources when something fails. I do wish all
of this was better documented, though. Guess I should try doing something
about that.
E-mail: rkoberman@gmail.com