Date:      Tue, 24 Jun 1997 01:54:14 +1000
From:      David Nugent <davidn@labs.usn.blaze.net.au>
To:        "Joel N. Weber II" <devnull@gnu.ai.mit.edu>, chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: OS/2 users going to FreeBSD? :-)

>  Yes, and another problem I found within a day on the same netbsd-hp-m68k
>  machine is that GNU find doesn't print sizes correctly in `-ls'.
>  (It does work fine on a Linux machine.)
>
>  OTOH, since the bugs were discovered on a machine in the gnu.ai.mit.edu
>  domain, I think there's some hope they'll get fixed.

:-)

>  OTOH

Hey, you're running out of "other hands" here!

>   I generally prefer GNU find, since I can do something like
>  `find -name foobar' and GNU find will do the equivalent of
>  `find . -name foobar -print'.

Actually, I quite like the -fprint option in gnu find. It's damned
useful for front-ends, something I've been meaning to look at adding
to FreeBSD's for a few months now.

>  (I actually took the time to install GNU find in my account on a solaris
>  machine because of this...)

gnu find one of the tools I carry around too.

Still, I 'replace' very little these days from a stock FreeBSD build
on any machine I intend to use a lot, which is pretty much limited to
ssh, tcsh and 'less' in the urgent category with things like gfind
and gmake in the second level. Unlike Linux, where I have built a
personalised /usr/local/tools tree just so that I can keep track of
things I need to take with me since I've run out of fingers and toes
on which to keep count. That most Linux distributions use 99%
GNU tools is probably significant.

Regards,
David

David Nugent - Unique Computing Pty Ltd - Melbourne, Australia
Voice +61-3-9791-9547  Data/BBS +61-3-9792-3507  3:632/348@fidonet
davidn@freebsd.org davidn@blaze.net.au http://www.blaze.net.au/~davidn/