Date:      Wed, 30 Apr 1997 13:05:41 +0930 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        bde@zeta.org.au (Bruce Evans)
Cc:        bde@zeta.org.au, msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au, config@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Startup userconfig parsing

Bruce Evans stands accused of saying:
> >Is the bootloader currently stressed by the current filesystem?  I
> >specifically asked about subdirectories when you first mentioned the
> >readfile() support, and you scoffed at the intimation that they might
> >be a problem.
>
> It's squeezed by the 7.5K limit.

Any reason this can't be 8.5K these days?  Who boots from 15spt media
anymore?

> >> Overengineered.
> >
> >Perhaps.  Perhaps not.  What if I want to throw in, say, the splash screen
> >image here.  Am I still overengineering?  How about the initial state
> >for the kernel's registry?
>
> The count would be very painful to maintain using ed(1) when you're fixing
> a failed config after screwing up the driver for the device containing
> /usr...  The splash screen could be just another file to load.  It could
> be handled by a bootstrap load command and a bootstrap or kernelconfig
> splash command.

I think you are misunderstanding what I am suggesting.  The file(s) to
load can be specified in any fashion; if you want to put the
instructions as to what to load in a file itself, that's fine.  The
structure (magic numbers etc.) are generated by the bootstrap as it
loads the file(s) into memory.  Think of it as a really stupid ramdisk
filesystem being created by the bootstrap for use by the kernel.

> ed(1) certainly won't know about what the commands mean :-).

Huh?  Sorry, I missed that one altogether.