Date:      Fri, 27 Nov 1998 19:49:17 +0200
From:      Neil Blakey-Milner <nbm@rucus.ru.ac.za>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD advocacy list <FreeBSD-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Getting articles published (Was merging thread)

On Thu 1998-11-26 (16:58), Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:
> > times already.  But who's out there feeding *BSD information to the
> > press?
>
> Not that more can't be done, but I usually do about 2-3 PR calls or
> email exchanges a week.

Could it be possible for someone to give a few tips on writing articles that
are going to be taken seriously by whatever media you're likely to submit it
to?

I've been somewhat inspired to write a few articles, in response to a recent
spate of somewhat clue^Wfact-less articles with regards Unix, operating
systems comparisons, and similar articles, which go from anything from "Unix
is an environment only survivable by programmers" (I think that was the
subheading), to a rehash of unix-vs-nt.org.

However, besides my experience running and maintaining a student server with
an active userbase of approximately 450, I don't think I have much
credentials, especially since I'm only 20, and have only been using computers
for about 4 years, am not the type of person who wins prizes for top-of-class
or competitions, etc.

For someone who isn't "Public Relations and Corporate Liasons" (and much
more), how does one get people to take you seriously?

Anyway, hope this sparks something useful,

Neil
--
Neil Blakey-Milner
nbm@rucus.ru.ac.za