Date:      Tue, 29 May 2012 01:17:18 +0200
From:      Gilles Risch <gilles.risch@gmail.com>
To:        Justin Hibbits <chmeeedalf@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-ppc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: PowerBook G4: Touchpad does not work.

Hello,

On 5/28/12 10:17 PM, Justin Hibbits wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Mon, 28 May 2012 15:20:46 +0200
> Gilles Risch <gilles.risch@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Yesterday I installed FreeBSD onto a 15" Powerbook G4 (Rev. D). I've
>> followed the instructions from the atp manual page and added the
>> following to my /etc/rc.conf:
>>
>> # Apple Touchpad
>> moused_enable="YES"
>> moused_port="/deb/atp0"
>
> I assume that's a typo, and is really "/dev/atp0"?

Correct, just a typo, not the cause of the problem.

>> Because that didn't work I checked the product id of the touch pad
>> with: "usbconfig -u 0 -a 3 dump_device_desc"
>>
>> ugen0.3: <Apple Internal KeyboardTrackpad Apple Computer> at usbus0,
>> cfg=0 md=HOST spd=FULL (12Mbps) pwr=ON
>>
>>   bLength = 0x0012
>>   bDescriptorType = 0x0001
>>   bcdUSB = 0x0200
>>   bDeviceClass = 0x0000
>>   bDeviceSubClass = 0x0000
>>   bDeviceProtocol = 0x0000
>>   bMaxPacketSize0 = 0x0008
>>   idVendor = 0x05ac
>>   idProduct = 0x020f
>>   bcdDevice = 0x0028
>>   iManufacturer = 0x0001  <Apple Computer>
>>   iProduct = 0x0002  <Apple Internal Keyboard/Trackpad>
>>   iSerialNumber = 0x0000  <no string>
>>   bNumConfigurations = 0x0001
>>
>> Looks fine because 0x02f is supported according the manual page.
>>
>> A "less /var/log/messages | grep atp" gave me the following:
>> May 28 11:30:32 powerbook kernel: atp_attach: failed to read device
>> mode (22)
>> May 28 11:30:32 powerbook kernel: device_attach: atp0 attach returned
>> 6
>>
>> Any ideas?
>>
>> Kind regards,
>> Gilles
>
> Error code 22 in that error string is USB_ERR_STALLED.
>
> One option would be recompile without atp, and load it on demand as a
> module.  That might prevent the stalling on the bus.

A rebuild of the kernel without atp didn't solve the problem:

powerbook# kldload atp
powerbook# ls /dev/atp*
ls: No match.
powerbook#

The attach error messages have gone but there's no atp node.

> What version of FreeBSD are you using?  Have you tried a recent
> -CURRENT snapshot?  There are recent RELENG_9 snapshots on
> http://pub.allbsd.org/FreeBSD-snapshots/ that you could try as well.

The next step I tried, was a rebuild of the whole system. Therefore I
updated my source tree with csup to RELENG_9_0. I now have this on my
PowerBook: "FreeBSD 9.0-RELEASE-p1 #3: Mon May 28 21:49:45 CEST 2012". I
tried a kernel with and without atp but the touchpad still doesn't work.

> - Justin

Kind regards,
Gilles