Date:      Wed, 24 Jun 1998 14:40:50 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Haavard Vaagstoel <havardjv@gudmund.vgs.no>
To:        Tim Gerchmez <fewtch@serv.net>
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Need a tip - X equiv. of Eudora?

On Tue, 23 Jun 1998, Tim Gerchmez wrote:

> Say, what's the best POP client for Email under X?  Looking for something
> similar to Eudora in Windows.  Already found my favorite FTP client,
> 'ftptool'... now I need something similar for Email in X.  I'll hunt around
> and try some different clients, but any tips?

You will have to differ between POP clients and mail readers. Eudora is a
combination -- a mail reader with its own POP client. In a Windows 95
environment, this is necessary because you don't have any (at least
commonly you don't) mail delivery system (like Sendmail). Therefore, the
mail reader has to get the mail itself -- putting it directly into its own
message base.

In a FreeBSD system, however, things are a little different. Though you
have some mail readers that have their own POP clients (like Netscape
mail), I believe it is more common to use a stand-alone POP client to
retrieve your mail, thereby "putting it into" the local mail system. This
way, it will appear just as local mail would.

For a mail reader, I will suggest `Pine'. But by all means, there are a
lot of different ones available. Check them out, if you please. Pine works
for me.

For a POP client, I will suggest `fetchmail'. There is another client
included with my distribution (2.2.5), it's called `popclient'. I have
never tried it, because fetchmail can do everything I want it to.

Finally, none of these suggestions are running as X programs, though Pine
works rather well in a xterm window. Fetchmail is a command line program
(controlled by a .fetchmailrc file, or command line options), so a
graphical interface is not really necessary. I doubt you will find any
stand-alone pop client `under X'.

--
Haavard Vaagstoel <havardjv@gudmund.vgs.no>