Date:      Sun, 9 Apr 2000 07:12:20 -0500
From:      Richard Wackerbarth <rkw@dataplex.net>
To:        asami@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: proposal: PRENAME variable

On Sun, 09 Apr 2000, Satoshi Asami wrote:

> Michael came up with the following idea.  What do you guys think?
Michael isn't authorized to have good ideas :-)

> Basically we set PKGNAMEPREFIX to "ja-" or "p5-" or whatever when the
> package name has a language-specifier as noted in the handbook.
Sounds good, at least on the surface. I see no problem in that naming
convention results.

> We can even put "PKGNAMEPREFIX=ja-" in ports/japanese/Makefile.inc and
> let the bsd.port.mk inclusion rule take care of most of the ports
> (except for those use MASTERDIR in another category).

<devil's advocate>
Assume I have ports/discussion/myport and ports/japanese/discussion/myport
They depend on ports/discussion/mylib and ports/japanese/discussion/mylib
respectively.
They also depend on ports/discussion/commonlib

Now, how do we create the references?
I worry that confusion will ensue if PKGNAMEPREFIX is automatically inserted
in some places, but not in others. The problem is analogous to the shell
conventions for relative vs absolute paths.
</devil's advocate>