Date:      18 May 2002 19:04:34 +0200
From:      Henrik Motakef <henrik.motakef@web.de>
To:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Perl scripts

Hi.

Now that perl is going away from the base system, how do we handle
perl scripts in a way that works with both 4.x and 5.x systems?

The easy part would be rewriting the shebang lines to "#!/usr/bin/env
perl", but how to go about dependencies? I have heard (maybe thats
just a rumor) that there will be an executable in /usr/bin/perl that
will call ${PREFIX}/bin/perl if available, so adding a line like

RUN_DEPENDS=perl:${PORTSDIR}/lang/perl5

won't work. Then again, depending on ${PREFIX}/bin/perl would force
installation of the perl5 port even on systems that have
/usr/bin/perl.

Would depending on perl5:${PORTSDIR}/lang/perl5 be a good idea?
(i.e. will there be a wrapper called /usr/bin/perl5 in base?)

Or would testing ${OSVERSION} be the right thing?

Regards
Henrik